Sunday, September 19, 2010

A word on celery.




Tonight I decided to make two batches of broth for freezing. One, with lamb bones, fennel, carrots, thyme, white wine, onion, garlic and fresh red pepper, and another with purely veggies.

The veggie broth called out for celery, so I obediently picked up a bunch while at the market today. By and large, I'm not a celery fan. Usually it's white or slightly yellow, stringy and bitter. I generally just try to stay away from it.




Today when I picked up celery, I was shocked. This is not the celery I'm accustomed! This vegetable, by comparison, is dark green, with large leafs, thin stalks and no strings!




Since the recipe only called for 3 ribs of celery, and I had another 9 left over, I decided to freeze the rest, thinking ahead for future batches of veggie broth, as well as Thanksgiving stuffing.

I find that my new mentality is freeze, freeze, freeze... storing everything imaginable and trying to waste as little as possible. Our trash bin is small, our compost bin is huge, and I feel that these small changes are fairly easy to make. I hope this spirit remains for the rest of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment