Monday, September 13, 2010

Playing in the dirt

No rest for the weary! After three full days of moving, hauling, lifting, unpacking, breaking down boxes, climbing stairs and more lifting, the home we moved into is really starting to feel like home.

With the main level complete, cooking and relaxing are now feasible. Relaxing was the furthest thing from my mind when the sun came out today, when I took advantage of the fall air and the warm sunshine to plant my first two "winter crops", which really breaks down to a cauliflower plant, a lettuce plant, rosemary, thyme and sage. It seems very small scale compared to that of my mom, who has the most natural green thumb of anyone I've ever met, but still... it was just another way to "move in" and bank on eating some of the local-est lettuce I can find this winter.



Of course, nothing in our new home compares to our pantry, where jars upon jars of tomatoes are lined up like little soldiers, waiting for their call to service. Three giant bags of beans are lined up next to the tomatoes, and next to that my dried fruit. For some reason, it feels so gratifying to have everything stockpiled in my pantry. I feel like I've prepped for winter, and all I have to do is hold on.

No comments:

Post a Comment