Sunday, July 25, 2010

Soybeans, Soybeans, where are you from?

So, Dan and I are on the pursuit for local tofu. At first glance, this doesn't really seem like a big deal, right? Local tofu-just pop down to the local PCC or other health food store, and pick up Island Springs Tofu tofu, which is locally made in the San Juan Islands. Oh, but wait! Where are those *soybeans* from?? Who knows. And after watching Food, Inc (also available on Netflix On Demand right now! Watch it!), we know that soybeans are one of the most controversial crops out there.

Now we are trying to figure out...do we forgo tofu for a year? Do we need to eat a strong protein *every* day? Or will we be living on Lentil's for a year?

In other news, we (and by we, I mean my mom) found jars that are not terribly expensive, and after calling around to local farms, are planning a trip to Eastern Washington to search out tomatoes for canning. I feel like an urban homesteader!

2 comments:

  1. Hi - We have a mutual friend Kristen S. I'm so glad she sent me your blog! My family and I are trying to eat local for the month of August. My husband is vegan and I am vegetarian (and we have two kids ages 1, 3). So we desperately need some protein. We decided that we would buy Island Spring Tofu. I joked with my husband that we should just call them up and ask them where they get their soy beans. Although, It brings up a really good point, that it is very difficult to find out where the ingredients in your food come from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill! So glad you are taking on this challenge! I've been thinking the same thing about Island Springs, and have decided to opt for beans from Alvarez Farms. They have a booth at the Ballard Farmer's Market. Also, I would talk to Bluebird Grain Farms (http://www.bluebirdgrainfarms.com/), as they have a product called "Emmer", which I believe is high in protein (it's an equivalent to Quinoa).

    Good luck, and keep in touch with how it goes!

    ReplyDelete