Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Our Last Stand.

As natural planners, we thought it would be easier to have some lead time before making the 100% local leap. In some ways, it has been. And while I'm glad I get the chance to can my own tomatoes and freeze fresh berries for the winter months, I'm really ready to start.

Partly why I'm chomping at the bit is our eating habits lately have gone to pot. Usually, a dinner consists of Quinoa, veggies and tofu or maybe chicken, with dessert being a Skinny Cow Ice Cream Bar. Nothing crazy.

Occasionally, a fine dining experience with a few glasses of wine.

Lately, it's like we're squirrels burying nuts for the winter, only instead of nuts, we're burying saturated fats. Burgers. Fries. Milk Shakes. Our desperation knows no bounds. And when we confront our eating habits, we always fall back on "well, starting in September, we won't be able to do this sort of thing...."

Dangerous.

But all of this prep time has been eye opening, and pretty helpful.

I spent all day around Seattle and the East Side yesterday, a full "car day" complete with shopping excursions, business meetings and lots of time in traffic. Now, I like to eat. I eat when I'm stressed, I eat when I'm bored, and I definitely like to grab quick snacks when I'm out and about. I realized quickly yesterday this could pose a problem heading into the winter months. What am I going to snack on? I nearly had a panic attack, until I consulted the Locavore Book I've been reading. She suggested dried fruits, which again, I hadn't even really thought of.

So, this weekend we're off to make our first purchase for our year long journey. A food dehydrator. Nothing special, just the 5 tray variety you can get at BB&B. Still, I think having good snacks around will end up saving us from ourselves, not to mention, keep us healthy.

Now, if I can find local popcorn...I'm set...

No comments:

Post a Comment