Thursday, November 18, 2010

Would you like to know where your food is from?

So, this idea has been born out of necessity. I pick up a product that is advertised as "Local", only to find that the company is local but the product is not. Wouldn't it be great to pick up a product and notice a seal so you know the ingredients are from 250 miles of your nearest city?

I think this would encourage companies to become more locally focused, as well. That there is a standard on what is considered "Local". That we CARE. Because if no one knows we care, how will things ever change?

This project has opened my eyes to where everything comes from. I've been surprised to find that nearly everything can be sourced locally - but why isn't it with bakeries and restaurants around the state?

And so I wonder--would you, the consumer, be interested in knowing that the muffin you eat or the bread you buy is at least 85% local? I know I would.

I created this logo, and I'm going to try to encourage "Local" companies to use it. If they use at least 85% of their ingredients from local sources, this little gem will grace their packages.

For free. 

I'm not trying to make any money on this. I'm simply trying to create awareness about where our food comes from.

I would like Seattle to set the standard on local foodies nationwide. I would like to create change from the ground up, and show companies that eating locally is important for a healthier future.

But that's me.

What do YOU think?

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love it. Even though we are living "gypsy style" (in an RV, traveling with the seasons), I always prefer to buy/eat local food wherever I am. Seattle is a great place to get started, and I hope the seal will take off and will be used throughout the US.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea! I agree with Rike - I would definitely pitch it wherever I go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your feedback! How wonderful to travel with the seasons...very lucky! I think buying and eating locally where ever you are is important, not only for our health, but also to get the true "flavor" of the area. :)

    ReplyDelete